If you have received an oral surgery procedure, our dentist and team will provide you with detailed instructions about what to do so that you can recover quickly and return to your regular activities. If you have any questions about our post-surgery instructions or if you want to set up an appointment at RM Advanced Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, please give us a call at 727-202-4459.
Here are a few of the guidelines you should follow after oral surgery:
- Take all the medications as prescribed.
- To help relieve pain and swelling, apply ice or cold pack to the outside of your mouth for 20 minutes at a time. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your skin.
- After 48 hours, rinse your mouth gently with prescribed rinse or salt water three times a day to reduce swelling and relieve pain. Make your own salt water by mixing 1 tsp (5 g) of salt in a medium-sized glass of 8 fluid oz. (240 mL) of water. Do not rinse hard. This can loosen the blood clot, increasing bleeding and delaying healing.
- Relax for three days after surgery. Physical activity may increase bleeding.
- Avoid smoking.
- Eat soft foods, such as gelatin, pudding or a thin soup. Gradually add solid foods to your diet as healing progresses.
- Do not lie flat. This may prolong bleeding. Prop up your head with pillows.
- Avoid rubbing the area with your tongue.
- Do not use sucking motions, such as when using a straw to drink.
- Avoid spitting
- Continue to carefully brush your teeth and tongue.
For more information and to set up an appointment with Dr. Roberto Macedo, please contact our office. We are proud to provide comprehensive dentistry in St. Petersburg, Florida, and surrounding areas and are committed to helping you regain a healthy smile.